Monday, June 20, 2011

Member Spotlight


In this Member Spotlight, The Trust would like to highlight Joe and Evelyn Adams, of Macon. Joe, a prominent artist, serves on the Hay House Board of Trustees. Recently Joe and Evelyn opened their lovely 1854 cottage home as a ramble site for the 2011 Spring Ramble in Macon. The trust is proud to feature the Adams, and their work in historic preservation.

TGT: How did you first become involved with the Hay House?

J&E: Evelyn and I first became involved with Hay House when we came up with the idea for the first Stanislaus/ Hay House Garden tour and ask Hay House to join us. My first memory of Hay House is from childhood. I grew up in the neighborhood and went to Whittle School at the bottom of the hill. I remember going to Hay House to "Tricker treat". I think Chester answered the door.

TGT: What do you find compelling about the mission of the Trust?

J&E: Evelyn and I love the Rambles. We have met many nice people through the Trust and love seeing the homes that are opened through the Trust. The trust does a great job in educating the public on the importance of preservation.

TGT: What committees or organizations do you serve on (at the Hay House or other organizations)?

J&E: I have just become a trustee and look forward to serving on Christmas at Hay House. I helped last year with the decorations. I am also interested in the ongoing preservation and restoration efforts at Hay House.

TGT: Please list any recent awards.

J&E: Evelyn and I are involved with Historic Macon Foundation and Evelyn is currently a board member. I was recently a trustee. We recently received a preservation award for our home on College Street that was recently on the Spring Macon Ramble. We have had several gardens on Garden tours.

TGT: Are you a native of Georgia?

J&E: Evelyn and I are Macon Natives.

TGT: Hobbies?

J&E: Evelyn and I love to garden and I paint. We also collect antiques and some people accuse us of collecting houses.

TGT: Preservation Tip: A tip in which anyone can play a role (large or small) in historic preservation.

J&E: Seek help of preservation experts BEFORE undertaking a preservation/restoration project.

No comments:

Post a Comment