One of the many intriguing sites included in this year's Ramble through Macon is the Telephone Exchange Building (c. 1904). The building has since been converted into fabulous lofts that are conveniently located in Downtown Macon.
The building features fine brickwork, terra-cotta trim and copper detailing on both façades on the corner lot. The three-story Italianate design copied a Bell Telephone Company structure in Richmond, Virginia, now demolished. Along with the four-story addition (c.1926) that adjoins it on Second Street, the building housed the operations of the Southern Telephone and Telegraph office until 1942. During the 1970s the Macon Technical School had space in the building. Unfortunately, the structure remained vacant beginning in 1980 and slowly deteriorated. The property was purchased in 1999 by Macon Heritage Foundation, now Historic Macon Foundation. After a new roof stabilized the building, Al and Kay Gerhardt bought it at the end of 2005. Work began in late 2007 using construction loans from the National Trust and the Georgia Cities Foundation. The building will be sold as condominiums, with residential use for the upper floors and commercial uses on the first floor.
To tour one of the great lofts in this building, join us for the 2011 Spring Ramble. Visit http://www.georgiatrust.org/historic_sites/rambles/ramble.php.